Bicyclist Killed In Hit And Run Crash
After an accident, those involved are supposed to stop and exchange information as well as assist those who are injured. However, not everyone follows these rules, leaving victims to die.
Sadly, this was recently the case in Florida. Police are looking for a motorist who hit and killed a bicycle rider in Dade City. The fatal accident occurred on the evening of January 17 near Tait and Lee avenues.
A motorist was traveling west on Tait Avenue when they hit a bicyclist. The driver did not stop. The bicyclist, a 42-year-old man from Dade City, was taken to a local hospital, where he later died.
The motorist has not yet been located. Anyone with information about the crash should contact Florida Highway Patrol.
Why Do Hit and Run Accidents Occur?
Hit and run crashes can happen for a variety of reasons. A driver may flee the accident scene due to the following:
- A driver who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs won’t stop because they don’t want to risk getting arrested for a DUI. They will take their chances and flee the accident scene.
- No insurance. A driver can be fined for not having insurance, so if they don’t have enough insurance to cover the damages, they may choose to essentially run away from their problem and hope it will go away.
- A driver may panic after hitting someone. Their “fight or flight” reflex may kick in. They may have a momentary lapse in judgment and flee the accident scene. In many cases, though, these drivers turn themselves in later.
- No ownership of the vehicle. The motorist may be driving a stolen vehicle. It’s also possible that the person is driving an employer’s vehicle and doesn’t want their manager to know about the accident, so they will flee the scene.
- Previous traffic tickets. A motorist with a history of driving violations may not stop at an accident scene because they are afraid they will get ticketed or arrested once the police officer runs their driving record. They don’t want additional points against their license, which can lead to license suspension and increased insurance rates.
- Legal problems. A driver could have other legal problems besides traffic violations. Maybe they have a warrant for their arrest. Perhaps they are an illegal immigrant or out on parole. In these situations, the driver may take their chances and flee the crash site.
Seek Help for Your Personal Injury Case
Auto-bicycle accidents often result in serious injuries or fatalities. Those involved need to ensure they get proper compensation for their damages.
But this can be difficult in the event of a hit and run crash. What do you do now? Seek legal help from a Dade City & Zephyrhills auto accident attorney from Mander Law Group. Our experienced team can help. To schedule a free consultation, call (800) 557-0411 or fill out the online form.